You will efficiently visit the locations where the anime was based, which are scattered across the city with the tour guide. otomo guide will tell you the spots for taking photos in which you can act out the scenes. The guide will also take you to popular sightseeing spots in Takayama city.
- Miyagawa Morning Market: You can find various sites around the market which you should be familiar as they appeared during the opening scene for episodes 1~12. In fact, this is one of the few morning markets in Japan where you will find fresh fruits, vegetables and handmade crafts.
- Fudo bashi: The bridge that appeared in the opening scene from episode 13; and in episode 21, Hotaro and Satoshi discussed where the Valentine's Day chocolates went. You will have a better understanding of the story when you know why it is important for women to give men chocolates on Valentine's Day in Japan.
- Hida Senior High School: A model of Kamiyama Senior High School which "Kotenbu" students attended. Please be aware that you are not allowed to enter the school property, but do not worry, there is more to see: the route students took on their way to school and the school’s front gate!
- Takayama Honmachi Shopping street: There are many scenes of Kotaro and Satoshi going to and coming back from school, wandering around this shopping street. otomo guide will take you to some of these memorable places.
- Antenna Shop Marutto Plaza: You will find a section dedicated for "Hyoka" fans. This is the chance to interact with other fans who have visited the location appeared in the anime in the past as well as in the future. There is a notebook where "Hyoka" fans leave their thoughts, and now it is your turn to tell others your passion for "Hyoka". You can also buy "Hyoka" goods at the shop.
- Bagpipe Cafe: The cafe, Pineapple Sand, where Eru talked about her uncle is based on the Bagpipe coffee shop (refer to episodes 2 and 3). You will find both the exterior of the building and interior design the same as Pineapple Sand. We recommend trying the Wiener Hot chocolate that Eru was drunk in the anime!
- Takayama City Library: The library that Kotaro and Eru visited research in episode 18 was modeled after the Takayama City Library. You can enjoy looking at the mixture of the Japanese and Western architectural techniques used to build this library. Another feature is that it was built using local timber and furniture.
- Hie Shrine: Lastly, we will visit the shrine that was the model for Arekusujinja Shrine (refer to both of the opening scenes and episode 20). This shrine is said to be the pilgrimage sites for other famous anime movies as well.